We believe that every child with dyslexia deserves to reach their potential and to discover and enjoy their talents. With our support children are given the best chance to overcome the challenges they face, together we find the strategies that will help them become fully independent learners enabling them to access the curriculum, articulate and express their ideas.
We appreciate that Dyslexia affects more than just literacy, although this is the primary challenge. An integral and important part of our sessions is the development of self-esteem, self-confidence and self-efficacy, as is a focus on meta-cognition (learning how to learn). By using a personalised multi-sensory, systematic and cumulative teaching approach we ensure progress for each learner. Sufficient opportunities for reviewing helps to reduce forgetting and consolidates learning.
Our aims are:
- to assess, identify, support and teach dyslexic learners.
- to help parents/carers and learners to understand dyslexia
- to advise and train staff within our school and provide each class with a dyslexia friendly tool kit to support learning.
- to provide an extensive training programme for the Inclusion team of Southwark LA. The training provides understanding to identify and support dyslexic learners in schools and to establish dyslexia friendly environments for learning.
- Dyscalculia training for SENCOs is also provided.